Welcome

Welcome to my art site! This is the place where I display some of my paintings and give some thoughts as to the process invloved in creating a painting. All paintings are for sale unless stated otherwise. If your interested in purchasing a painting, please contact via email for pricing and any other information you would be interested in. Thanks for stopping by.

Click on images to view them larger.



Thursday, July 8, 2010

Man on a Bicycle- Pastel


Image size in 8 x 10 inches. This was an experiment for using ink to tone and create a background. Basically, I "borrowed" my wifes ink pads (that she uses for cardmaking) one night when she wasn't home. I rolled a few colors of ink using one of her rollers; dark brown, lighter brown, and rusty color rolled vertically. Applied a couple coats of Colorfix primer over the ink after it dried- which was fast by the way. A little bit of pastel over that, but much of the ink is still visable in the background. The purpose of this background was to have a more abstract background, using "old fashioned or antique looking" colors to go along with the antique bike. And I needed to "ground" the bike by adding the illusion of a road, and added in some slight reflection for fun. Hope you like it.

5 comments:

  1. Ron, this is great. Fun, different and creative. Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  2. both Nvcricket, (Carol) and I really like this painting! Where did you come up with the idea? Background is great, and makes the rider really stand out!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great painting Ron, I love it. Oddly (coincidence) there were two gents riding penny farthing bicycles through the town here last weekend, very surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, Ida, Carol- thanks a bunch. this was originally a snap shot photo that I took last summer. I thought it would make an interesting subject for a painting.... it only took me year to get around to paint it!

    Peter- thanks, glad you like it. I am going to do some more antique bicycle paintings.... keep an eye out for them riding through your town!ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the wife!! I love that you are showing interest in my stamping supplies, makes it so much easier to borrow your painting supplies. haha. Great painting

    ReplyDelete